Tuesday, July 24, 2012

CTR-Cook the Rice

 I feel like I don't have to blog because Katie is doing such a good time blogging about everything. So if you feel like i'm not doing enough read her's k-mill.blogspot.com!

So medical days are still my favorite. We went to a really cool colony this time and I met Maria. Maria is amazing. She came running up to all of us as soon as we arrived with her arms wide open and insisted on hugging all of us. I walked with her for a little while and could feel her sweet spirit. I got to wash Maria's feet and clean out her ulcer which was a bad one. I could tell she was in a lot of pain and she was even crying. It completely broke my heart to see her have to suffer so much. I watched as she tried to wipe her eyes with the stubs she has as hands and I was filled with love for this beautiful woman. Even though all I did was wash her feet I was so grateful to be able to help her.  

I realize this picture really isn't great of either of us but this is Maria. 

After medical Anadan our driver (I realize I spell his name different every time...ah well) took us on a couple adventures. One to pizza hut, one to another hill top temple and the last one some of you will recognize from this picture. 
Today was our education rotation and for some reason I just wasn't feeling it. But like I said before the last student of the day is always the best. I read with Jayaraj today and although he wasn't one of the cute younger standard kids that usually come during that period he was hilarious. He wanted to sing everything instead of just reading it. It made it so much fun. He's a good little singer. Speaking of singing I went to the kids choir class today which was so sweet. They're learning So Long Farewell to sing for the volunteers at the talent show. It made me sad, I'm already dreading saying goodbye to these kids. I heard Brooke was the last choir teacher, she would have been super!

I was writing to a missionary today and trying to be somewhat uplifting/spiritual and I was talking about how there is never too much love to give. That's become very apparent to me once again while being here. Everyone needs love. I also realized while writing him that being in India isn't about me. I'll be honest at the beginning and maybe until today I thought it was. I wanted the kids to like me, I wanted to be able to have cool pictures, I wanted to ride an elephant, I wanted to grow personally, I wanted a lot to do with me. But I realized how much it's not about me. With this realization comes the fact that because it's not about me it doesn't matter if I'm hot or bored or tired. Why am I focusing on me? There is so much love to give here and I need to be focusing on that. I sadly only have one more week here at Rising Star before I head off to Delhi and I'm committing myself to 100% involvement and energy while I'm here! 

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I can feel what an amazing experience you're having through your writing; thanks for sharing.

Brooke Shoko said...

Madison you are amazing- I love that it has already "clicked" for you and that you realize the whole point of being there! Those kids are going to fall apart when you leave! Soak it up . Love you!