Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Auntie Auntie

I already feel like I have so much to say but I really don't know how to say it. I love wearing the clothes, I love eating the food (I really do, a lot of other volunteers don't like it but I'm lovin the rice and curry), I love the kids, I love that it's cloudy. It's so exciting when the kids remember your name and when they ask if you can be the one to read with them. They call me Medicine cause that's pretty much how they pronounce Madison. They really are so beautiful.

Funny story, yesterday was our construction day and we tossed bricks in an assembly line from the pile on the ground to make a pile on the roof. If you know me you know my face turns red when I get hot, like really red. Well, it reached a whole new level here haha, I can honestly say I've never sweat that much in my life. It got to the point where you had nowhere to wipe your sweaty face anymore because your shirt was already wet and your whole body was covered in red brick. Yum right? Bucket  showers felt goooood that night.

(I wish you could have seen my face when it was super red, haha jk I hope no one ever sees that again)

I love getting to know these little kids, some of them are such sweethearts and some of them are little stinkers, but they're all pretty cute. I've gotten to know the little boys the most so far because I'm in their hostel at night. There's a 3 little boys that just melt my heart, Vignesh, Vira and Gopi(?). They all have just the sweetest little smiles. Every night I go into Vignesh's room and we sing the alphabet song that we sing with Kate too. "the a says ah the b says buh every letter makes a sound the b says buh." and  Vignesh just screams it at the top of his lungs it's adorable. There's a boy who's a little older named Vamil that's just great. I taught him the parent trap handshake and he's making us show every person we can find. I love teaching them games. I wish I could think of more. I cut when I was throwing bricks so I'm wearing a bandaid and every time they see it they ask why I have it and when I explain that I have a cut they all begin to show me the many cuts/scratches on their bodies and then I feel kind of silly. We have so many things I take for granted as simple as bandaids. We ate lunch with the kids today for the first time, they laughed a little when I didn't know how to eat with my hands correctly. Just so you know you should only use one hand, it's silly to use two. 
This is Gopi, I think, like I said the names are hard for me. He has the longest eyelashes and is just so sweet.
 All of the kids steal your cameras. I was attempting to get it back but Varishnavi (so adorable) insisted on taking more pictures but couldn't figure out how to get her finger out of it haha so cute.
                                          Jennifer on the right is just beautiful.


Well I just know I'm going to get lice at some point on this trip. I feel like it'll be a blessing if I don't. A couple of girls have gotten sick so keep me in you prayers that I won't! We're going into the colonies tomorrow for our medical rotation and I'm so excited. We also get to stop in the art colony and I'm excited to get something. India is humid, life is good, and maddie is happy.

4 comments:

Erin Blake said...

Did you get my last comment?

Erin Blake said...

Maddie I am so happy you're happy! I've seen that red face before :)
Also don't get lice. Also bring an outfit home. Also I'm glad you are enjoying the food. Also I am not obsessively checking for your posts. I'm not checking every three hours or so.
Love hearing about it and seeing pictures especially :)

Brooke Shoko said...

Maddie- I love this post! So glad that you are embracing the food, the clothes and the whole RSO experience. I wish we could be there together! Have fun at the colonies tomorrow- can't wait to hear how that goes. LOVE the photo of you and Jennifer. She is so fun and smart and beautiful. Make sure and say hi to her from me next time you bump into her :) loves!

Lauren said...

This is incredible! I'm so excited for you! Looks like quite the adventure. i love you so much. You're incredible! And can I mention that you are gorgeous!?