Thursday, October 11, 2012

College Round 2

*International Cinema- I love love love going to the International Cinema, I've seen two really good films these past two weeks. The first was Paris je T'aime which was a combination of about 20 short stories all set in Paris. I just want to go to Paris so badly. It was the funniest mix of really artsy deep stories to weird vampires and cheap fake blood. I loved it though. The second film I saw was The First Grader about an 84 year old Kenyan man who takes advantage of the government's new policy of free education for all and tries to go back to school to learn to read. It's an incredibly inspiring and sad but good movie. The music is awesome and the kids are the cutest things ever, watching them in school reminding me a lot of the sweet Indian kids that I miss so much. I highly suggest watching both but if you don't have much time watch the First Grader, so good.

*Group Dates- I'm a big fan of group dates. It's a good way to get to know new friends. Last week I got bored in Sunday School and I planned a massive group date. Basically I set up all my friends and it was one massive blind date. All 15 couples went to the good ol' Nickel City where we played some game and a lot of laser tag. It was way fun. A little stressful setting it all up but way fun.




*Dance Parties- I may not be a good dancer but man do I love a good dance party. The first month of school that's like all we did but it's slowed down a little bit.

*Midnight In-N-Out Runs: It's become somewhat of a tradition to fit as many people as I can into my car (sorry mom, i'm safe I promise..) and head over to In-N-Out at midnight on Sundays because at midnight we aren't breaking the sabbath anymore. It's actually quite funny to see how many people show up at midnight, it's quite the party.
*Tunnel Singing- Alright this is sooo BYU so don't criticize (eh utah fans) but on Sunday nights they have tunnel singing, basically about 100 kids show up at the tunnel by the Marriot Center and we sing hymns and people announce their mission calls. It's really a cool thing to be a part of.
*True Blue Foam Slide- This actually happened yesterday but as one of the Homecoming week activities they had a huge slip-n-slide with blue foam. It was so crazy but so fun. I was blue all over, still am in some spots actually, even my contact got dyed blue. It was soo much fun to just dive into pits of blue foam. So weird but so fun.
*The Cannon Center- For you not familiar with BYU the cannon center is where all the kids in the dorm eat. It's honestly one of my favorite places on campus. It's so fun to go in there and see everyone...I mean everyone. Sometime's I'll walk in with one group of friends eat, see another group has walked in, go sit with them and just keep floating around. It's such a good meeting place.
*Classes- My two favorite classes are not Art (2D design) and Sociology. My Art teacher is the bomb. He's in his mid 30's not married and just awkward and great. He gives very open ended assignments and really wants you to focus on art that you love and in developing your style. I love love love it. He has great insight but the class isn't too structured. And he's so funny, such an awkward funny guy. Our assignment for class on Tuesday is to bring our all time favorite song and play it for the class haha college is great. Sociology is awesome as well. I love talking about all these theories and how we are influenced by the society around us. It's so fascinating. Every time I walk out of class I have a new way at looking at situations and people knowing a little bit more of what's behind their motives.
*Stover Hall- I seriously love the dorms. I'm not sad one bit that I don't have my own bathroom, kitchen, or even a living room area to hang out. I love the girls on my floor and I love just walking into each others rooms whenever and staying up late watching movies (lately megs is making me watch all the classic disney channel movies because apparently I had no childhood haha) and chatting about who knows what.
*Football Games- I love BYU football everyone knows that. It's been so fun going to all the games and sitting with by Bountiful friends. This weekend is our homecoming game and the team got new black jersey's their sick I'm excited for the blackout!



*Alpine Slide- The alpine slide is a must for me and we went last weekend and the hills were beautifully yellow! Living in California for two years has made me appreciate Utah's beauty way more, the mountains are gorgeous especially during the fall!



*Friends- I am very grateful for my friends. I have a solid group that I hang out with but it's also fun cause we're always meeting new people. I am very lucky to have met such good and fun kids.




there's probably more that I'm not thinking of but there ya go. College is treating me well. 

2 comments:

Erin Blake said...

I KNEW you were driving the suburban!! Best post ever Maddie. Blue foam thing is weird, especially that it got in your eye. Freshman year is the best. :)

Lauren said...

This was fabulous. More, more, more. So glad to see you on campus every once in a blue moon. Also... your piece with the planted feet... I love it!