Sunday, December 5, 2010

So SOCAL


Living here in SoCal it's funny to see some of the little differences between what I grew up with in Utah and the norm in SoCal. So i'm starting a new
segment called "So SOCAL":

CLOTHES:
Ali and I have decided something. Girls in Utah focus way more on applying their makeup and having the perfect hair while girls in California focus way more on their clothes.
EXHIBIT A:


One thing I think is funny is that when girls claim they are going to wear sweats to school and show up in their tight black yoga pants. When my friends in Utah claim their wearing sweats to school they show up in their X-large baggy sweats and sweatshirts. Not claiming one is better it's just funny.

EXHIBIT B:


Like I said they focus more on their clothes and the
y are definitely more trendy. I can't put my finger on anyone in Utah who would wear tights under their shorts, but it's very common here.

SLANG:
Granted most of the time everyone talks the same. These are few things Ali and I laugh at:

*Ding Dong ditching instead of Doorbell ditching
*It's PE not gym...
*Bungalow instead of Portables
*We definitely get laughed at when we use "mormon slang" like "Oh my heck."

OTHER:
I come to English class on the first day of school and we were supposed to write an essay. All the girls pull out their pencil cases and their whiteout. What??? Since when have people actually used white out. Teachers rarely had white out in
Utah and tons of kids use it here.
This one may just be more focused on the cheerleaders at the school but they all write like that. With the dots connecting every line and joint of each letter. Tons of the school sweatshirts are done with this letter and with the old school stick figures.

If the weather is below 50 it's COLD here. It's funny that girls come in their UGG boots, pea coats, scarves with their coffee in hand to battle this freezing temperature. To give them a little bit of credit our school is outdoor....but still.

Birthdays are a big deal at school. If your birthday is on a school day it's celebrated. Friends give you huge balloons that you carry with you all day, sometimes there are posters, tiaras, but there is almost always desserts involved. You'll see birthday girls walking through the hall carrying cakes and tons of cupcakes.

There ya go. I love it both places. I'll continue to add some of these gems when I come across them.

3 comments:

JuneyB said...

LOVED that post! for real. I miss you maddie. SO FREAKING MUCH. Let's skype soon, ya?

California Blakes said...

You pretty much described me to a "t"!! Seriously...love it! xoxo

Lisa Childs said...

Hahaha that's funny. And guess what, I saw a girl at school (2 actually!) Who wore their tights under their shorts. Though they looked not so cute............. :|

And my friend who lives in Malibu just put an album up of her birthday.. holy crap they are hardcore!!!

WV: thershlo