Friday, November 26, 2010

The Holy War




Tomorrow's the big game. BYU Cougars vs. Utah Utes. I love the rivalry, always have. You can't quite understand it unless you've lived in Utah.

Growing up in the Blake family there is one lesson that is engraved into every child's mind: We love BYU, and "hate the stinkin Utes". We bleed blue. Spencer and I could sing the BYU fight song when were were about 2 and usually one of the first things any of my cousins can say is "GOOOO Cougars!" Sydney used to fake cry whenever we'd drive past the U, and until recently my Dad refused to wear red. Most of my childhood we've had Football season tickets so naturally I've grown to love Byu football. I really do love it.

Like I was saying, the rivalry is a BIG deal, especially in Bountiful. The Junior High always had the Byu-Utah day and everyone would deck themselves out in either ute or cougar apparel. Then of course there were the few Utah State fans who are just to pansy to pick a side. All season long there is smack talk going on and I love it. Fosters, Mayfields, Fowers, Lakes, Troy, Brit and Alec were the ones I remember getting it from the most. It's always so funny to me that no matter how good or bad the teams are that year it doesn't matter, it's always a close game. The last handful of years I've gone to the game with my Dad, Ali, Spence and usually my Blake uncles. I can't explain the excitement of cheering on the cougars whether at Lavell Edwards or Rice Eccles Stadiums. Here's one of the best moments. Or this one. Yep that's the best.

It's also great to walk into church the next day to see all the humble Utah fans, some of them wearing BYU ties because of lost bets. It's always fun to see Stephen, Jacob, and Troy who always have an excuse for why the game was unfair, or how even though we won Utah is still better. On the flipside we are sometimes the ones humbled, whether by getting our lawn spray painted red in the shape of U, or have our BYU flag stolen and getting a U sewn over it.

It's been interesting living in California so far because all but one family in the ward are BYU fans. Although I like that for the most part I'm missing the Ute fans just for this week. I'm excited for the game and I'm excited for the facebook statuses and text messages that always follow. All I've got left to say is GO COUGARS!!

2 comments:

Misty said...

Jonathan Zollinger (do you know him?) "BYU'd" our house last night -- he put blue streamers and BYU balloons all over the place. All while our huge, red, light-up 'U' was shining in the window. :) Later last night, we then heard the Utah fight song being played by an amazing brass band. We ran outside and saw some of the actual UofU band playing it right in front of our house. (Steve from our ward is in the band and arranged it for Mike) Definitely love this time of year! And you know I actually really love both schools. :)

Erin Blake said...

I'm not missing them.